Monday, May 21, 2007

Introduction / Week 2

Hello everyone :)
My name is Amie Sawtell, I am 18 years old and a first year student at Griffith University, currently living at the 'University Village' with 70 other university students. I am from a small country town in NSW called Kyogle where I attended High School. I moved up the Gold Coast to Parkwood about 3 weeks ago and am loving my new lifestyle, however missing friends and family.
My family home is a farm 35km north of Kyogle, where my parents work as farmers producing beef cattle. My mum is also a casual preschool teacher. My dad fought in the Vietnam war, and I love hearing stories from both of my parents about their childhood and growing up in what I consider the 'olden days.'
I have two brothers. Josh is 16 years old and attending Kyogle high. He plays lots of sport when he is not injured and loves riding his motorbike. I’m pretty sure he also enjoys camping, because he seems to do that alot with his friends. My other brother, Adam is 30-something and lives in Mosman, Sydney. He works for Optus and wears nice clothes, his job consisting of meeting important people and doing important things... very important, so he tells me. He also lives a party life, with no intentions that I am aware of concerning settling down with a family.
As for me, I am a newborn university student and loving it.
My interests include music, singing, reading, movies and television, journalism, saving the world, dance, pilates, politics, clubbing, childcare and shopping. I love meeting new people and having a good time, whether it be going out on a friday night with my friends, going to the movies or simply hanging out at the beach, my place or at uni. I follow union with my dad (go the wallabies) and netball with mum.. I used to play netball myself, but stopped when I moved out of home.
Feel free to check out my myspace webpage www.myspace.com.au/amie_sawtell for further information about myself and my life.
This Weblog has been primarily created as an ongoing assessment for a course called New Communication Technologies which I am currently undertaking. Having only attended one lecture and one tutorial for this course, I would not consider myself an expert concerning New Communication Technologies, however so far I am enjoying the course. I have been looking through the text book and am particularly interested in the ideas about surveillance and communication theories, and dialect, and how this all fits in with our ever changing and dynamic materialistic world.I am also interested in how the fast paced development of technology is inevitably going to effect my potential career as a journalist. I feel that this course is extremely relevant to my future career, with new technologies defining the nature of a journalist’s life.
That’s all for now
Amie

No comments: